Hovione is an independent family owned international group of companies. From the beginning, we have set ourselves above and apart through our innovative technological and productive capabilities, reaching a top spot in the world market as an integrated Contract Development and Manufacturing Company dedicated to helping Pharmaceutical Customers bring new and off-patent drugs to market.
Our people are the main asset for our continued success. Reaching over 1950 team members, from 36 different nationalities, that are located across Asia, Europe and North America (Portugal, US, Macao, Ireland, China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, and Switzerland), including 4 production sites.
Working at Hovione means reaching for innovation and excellence in everything we do: for our clients, our partners and, above all, our patients. That is why we are In it for life.
Responsibility over the development, scale-up, registration/validation of drug substance, particle engineering and drug development programs in compliance with legislation and regulatory standards of Quality, HSE and cGMP policies. Oversees the manufacturing process for clinical or commercial supplies of materials in cooperation with areas and supports safety/hazard analysis and other technical support areas as required. Promotes the scientific excellence and innovation in the area and contributes with technical expertise to expand the Intellectual Property, product and technology portfolios.
- Lead the technical aspects of multiple complex projects
- Assess different options and recommends an approach to deliver on the agreed work plan
- Provide troubleshooting support to less experienced Team Members
- Generate technical documentation related to own projects and review others
- Provide technical assessment of new projects as well as technical support to other areas
- Actively propose improvements of processes and procedures
- Generate Intellectual Property and promote scientific activities & innovation
- Develop/propose new methodologies/technologies to increase R&D efficiency
- Contribute to Hovione branding by actively participating in Scientific Events, speaking at conferences, etc
- Act as lead in inspections and internal and external audits related to R&D projects
- Represent Hovione with clients during technical and business assessments
- Network with senior internal/external personnel outside own area of expertise
- Act as a resource and mentor to TMs in own areas of technical expertise
- Train others in subjects related to own area specifics/expertise
- Master scientific investigation processes and tools
- Manage complex projects/ analysis with significant impact on business
- Make quality and timely decisions based on multiple sources of data
- Manage risk and uncertainty; anticipate and escalate roadblocks in order to prevent deviations to the goals
- Execute professional activities in compliance with GMP and HSE guidelines, internal and external requirements as well as promote the implementation and maintenance of Hovione´s policies, systems and procedures (COPs, HBR, SOPs and others)
- Carry out assigned tasks and duties in a safe manner, in accordance with instructions, and to comply with environmental, health & safety rules/procedures, regulations and codes of practice
- University, or equivalent, qualification in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences, Pharmaceutical Technology, Biological Engineering or Biology or Mechanical Engineering (specific for devices) or similar scientific field (mandatory), preferably with a PhD
- Typically requires 5-8 years of relevant experience in Research & Development and/or Operations in the Pharmaceutical Industry. A Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific field is typically considered equivalent to 4 years of relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Unit Operations, or of Reaction Engineering, Heat Transfer, Scale-up, Process Safety and Industrial Operations, or of drug product unit operations, solids flow phenomena and process equipment , of drug product formulation and drug delivery; Mechanical Engineering and Fluid Dynamics with the ability to solve complex problems
- Knowledge of mathematics, preferably data management, statistics and first principles modeling (preferred)
- Fluency in English is a requirement
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of the MS Office package
- Must have the Knowledge, Experience and Skills to conduct their tasks in accordance with the rules and procedures set down
Hovione is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer
Inclusion and diversity are key to us. At Hovione, that means a work environment where differences are valued, and everyone is treated with fairness and respect. We want all our team members worldwide to feel supported, respected, and have the opportunity to achieve their full potential, regardless of their age, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation or ethnicity.